you let your car go through the winter without Anti Freeze?
Failure to winterize your pool will also result in expensive repairs.
Kits and Accessories
understand this before attempting to winterize your pool. Have the required
equipment, chemicals and other accessories available.
Items required for proper winterizing
- Winter Chemicals
- Assorted plugs to fit returns and skimmers
- Gizmo or plastic jugs with gravel to place
- Shop Vac or other powerful device capable
of blowing air.
24 Hours Prior To Winterizing
- Shock Pool by using 1 lb.
of concentrated granular chlorine per 10,000 gallons.
- Balance pH to 7.4-7.8
- Balance total alkalinity
- Vacuum Pool, remove all
dirt and algae. ( If you close a dirty pool you could permanently stain
the finish or liner of the pool).
Day of Winterizing
- Mix Stain Preventative in
a pail of warm water. Pour into pool around edges. Keep pump running.
- Broadcast Oxyshock in pool
at the rate of 1lb. per 10,000 gallons. Keep pump running.
- If you have a sand filter do the
following in backwash position until suction is lost, this breaks up and
cleans any impacted sand bed. Pump water below the skimmer face
plate. DO NOT lower the
water below the return water inlets. ( This procedure will vary depending
on your pool plumbing and type of filter. You may have to use a
- Dilute and broadcast the Winterizer
Algaecide into the pool. mix with broom or boat paddle (Mix like
paddling a canoe) Remove the skimmer basket and skimmer
YOU ARE NOW
READY TO WINTERIZE SKIMMER AND RETURN LINES
Start Winterizing Process (steps
- Close Valve for main drain. (If there is no
valve, then plug main drain at skimmer. There will be two holes in bottom
of skimmer with the one nearest the water being the one for the main
- Put end of blower hose into bottom hole of
skimmer. Do what ever is necessary to make tight fit.
- Turn on blower untill all water is blown
out of line to pump. NOTE- remove drain plugs from pump temporaily.
- Turn off blower, wait 5 minutes then Repeat
- Insert pump drain plugs keep blower
running, rotate multiport valve through all positions. Pause for 10
seconds at each position, then place valve in backwash position. Keep
- Open all drain plugs in filter system. Let
blower run for 5 minutes, then place valve in recirculate position. Keep
- Prepare a threaded SP1022C plug for each
return fitting with three turns of teflon tape. If threaded plugs are not
usable, then have proper sized expandable plugs available.
- Remove the eyeballs from returns and
install plugs loosely in all returns and automatic cleaner fittings.
- When return closest to the pump is bubbling
vigorously, screw the plug into the return fitting tighten by hand and
then 1 to 1 1/2 turns with pliers.
- Go to next return and tighten for a few
seconds, then quickly remove plug allowing the surge of air to release,
wait 5 seconds then plug and tighten with pliers.
- Plug all remaining returns or automatic
cleaner lines the same way as in Step 10. Warning when last plug is
installed air blower will have to be turned off immediately.
- To winterize main drain,
Open valve to main drain, turn on air blower allow the air to bubble from
main drain for 45 seconds, rapidly close valve and turn off blower. NOTE:
If main drain can only be accessed at skimmer then move blower hose to
second hole in skimmer until air bubbles blow from main drain for 45
seconds then rapidly remove hose and plug hole with threaded plug.
- To winterize heater,
remove all plugs and open all drain cocks at heater, Insert air blower
hose at skimmer again and turn on air blower until all water has quit
running out of open holes. Remove prressure switch and shake to remove
water from switch. Re-attach switch. Lube all holes in heater with O-ring
lube. Turn off as valve. (NOTE: Some people leave pilot light on during
winter as insurance.)
- Turn off the blower.
- Remove plugs from Pump
- Place Filter Valve in winterize position.
- Pour 1 gallon of pool antifreeze into
- Put teflon tape on threads of a gizzmo and
screw it into skimmer.
- Refill pool to the levels indicated
depending on type of pool.
- Concrete with tile line- Refill to below the tile line
- Vinyl- refill to normal swimming level.
- Remove and store all deck equipment.
- Remove and drain automatic chlorinators,
automatic pool cleaner pumps, store in dry area.
- Drain and store all cleaning equipment.
- Drain all slide lines
- Turn off all electricity to pumps.
Winterizing Of Filters Will Vary Depending On Type
CAUTION: We have shown
one way to winterize a sand filter. Keep in mind that wet sand will freeze and
expand. That is why we had you pump the water level down in the backwash
position. By doing that you are loosening and expanding the sand. The only
sure way of avoiding a tank freeze up is by removing the sand.
CAUTION: Our method of
blowing out and plugging lines is the accepted way. However, because of
plumbing variations and possible settlement (low areas) in plumbing lines all
water may not have been completely removed. This may call for addition of pool
antifreeze to plumbing in areas of this country where deep freezes are
Tips Warnings and Instructions
your pool wall is buried more than 1 ft. in the ground you should
not lower your water level for the winter. Doing so could result in the
wall collapsing after a heavy rain or from freeze expansion.
To Protect your liner from any
possible winter damage, it is best to leave your water at normal depth.
To do this, however, requires action be taken to protect your skimmer
from possible damage. We suggest one of the following:
- Winter Plate, provided by some manufacturers
- A Foam Insert installed in
- Plastic bottle installed in
- Any other device to keep ice
from expanding and cracking the skimmer.
- Plug return fitting and
bottom of skimmer.
- Disconnect Hoses
WINTERIZING YOUR POOL REQUIRES 3 IMPORTANT PHASES
the correct winter chemicals to avoid damage to the pool
winterizing your equipment to avoid freeze damage
winterizing the pool to avoid damage
1. Clean the pool and vacuum any debris that might be in the water.
Closing a dirty pool will result in serious problems next spring.
2. After the pool has been cleaned, add enough chlorine to bring the
test reading to at least 1.5ppm.
3. Adjust pH to a reading of 7.2-7.8
4. Add our Winter Chemicals as indicated on the kit instructions.
5. Allow pump to circulate water for at least 1 hour.
1. Install any plugs as necessary.
2. Winterize skimmer as described below.
3. Disconnect all hoses from pool, filter and pump as necessary.
4. Remove drain plugs from filter tank. Open tank and remove all
contents (sand, or DE )
5. Open strainer pot and remove all water from pump. Remove any drain
6. If filter system will not be stored inside, replace all lids to keep
7. Remove ladder from water. Clean and store away.
1. Clean and inspect exterior surfaces of the pool. Repair any
scratches with rust proof paint or clear fingernail polish. Pay
particular attention to the areas around the skimmer and inlets. Leaky
fittings and gaskets can cause corrosion. Those of you that have decks
that cover skimmers and inlets should make a special effort to inspect
those unseen areas.
2. To eliminate ice damage to the liner use one of the following
- Vinyl pillow made especially
for this purpose...or
- Plastic bottles. Fill each
bottle with enough sand or gravel so that the bottle will float
about half way out of the water. tie the bottles on a cord about 4
feet apart in an X shape across the pool.
- Large inner tubes. tie them
so they will float in the center of the pool.
3. Attach cover as recommended
by the manufacturer.
4. Add more Winterizer in January and March.
Above Ground Skimmer
Winterize Skimmer Without
Put plug in bottom of
Put plug in Return
Weight Jug with gravel
and place in bottom of skimmer ( Alternative, use Etha foam Block)
Don't use Styrofoam
Remove foam from weir to
prevent winter damage
Place lid on skimmer and
weight down with brick to prevent jug or foam from floating out
Kits & Accessories